Filing for bankruptcy in the Bronx can be a complicated and stressful experience. The process can involve loads of paperwork and multiple deadlines. Having an experienced bankruptcy attorney in the Bronx on your side can help you navigate the legal system and save you time and potential headaches down the road. However, for a variety of reasons many people are afraid to reach out to an attorney for help.
How can a Bronx bankruptcy attorney help me?
Below is a list of some of the most important things an attorney can do for you during the bankruptcy process:
- Are you certain you should file? If you’re considering filing for bankruptcy, you probably feel like it’s your only way out. An experienced bankruptcy attorney will walk you through your situation and help you decide if there are any other options available to manage your debt.
- What type of bankruptcy are you filing? Once you’ve decided that bankruptcy is the best path forward, you must determine which type of bankruptcy to file for. Chapter 7 is the most common and involves liquidation of any assets. Chapter 13 is often used by people who have a source of income and viable assets to lose. A good lawyer will apply the bankruptcy means test in order to determine which option is best for you.
- Make sure your petition is error-free. As mentioned earlier, bankruptcy comes with paperwork. You will need to document your finances, debts, income, assets and recent transactions accurately and on time. All cases will be reviewed by the U.S. Department of justice, and fraud on a petition is considered a felony so it is important you avoid mistakes. Your attorney will review everything before it’s submitted and make sure its accurate.
- Protect you against creditors. A bankruptcy lawyer will help protect you against harassment from debt collectors during the bankruptcy process.
- Examine your finances. A bankruptcy attorney will review your finances and offer advice based on your specific situation.
- Protect your property.An attorney can help you protect some of your possessions and delay.
After bankruptcy you will have a fresh financial start, and a good bankruptcy attorney in the Bronx can give you financial tips moving forward.
Contact an experienced bankruptcy attorney in the Bronx
Bronx bankruptcy attorney Thomas M. Denaro, Esq. has over 30 years of experience in bankruptcy law, and a genuine desire to help his clients overcome their financial problems. Not only is he well-versed in the ins and outs of the legal system, he can offer long-term solutions to your debt obstacles. If you are considering filing for bankruptcy in the Bronx, contact the law offices of Thomas Denaro today at (718) 863-6000 for a free consultation or contact us online.